Work-study programs allow you to earn money while attending college. Work-study money can be used to pay for classes, books, and personal expenses. Employers in these programs understand the needs of students and try to work with their schedules.

Basically, there are two types of work-study jobs:

  • Federal Work-Study Program. If you can show the financial need, you may qualify for this program. You could work on campus or off campus at a public agency or nonprofit organization. To show financial need, you must complete the Free Application for Student Financial Aid (FAFSA) form. Be sure to mark the box indicating you are interested in student employment.

  • Non-Federal Work-Study Jobs. Your college may have jobs available that aren't part of the federal program. These jobs are not based on financial need. Check with your school's Career Services department-or your specific academic department-for a listing of non-FWS jobs. The money you earn in this type of work-study job will be used to determine your financial need when filing the FAFSA.