I thought I would take the opportunity this President’s Day to reflect on what it means to be a good leader. Although this holiday was established to celebrate United States presidents, I would like to honor American Indian tribal presidents and chairpeople and tribal college presidents who serve in important leadership roles throughout Indian Country.
These people are doing the tough work of building communities and tribes while also looking seven generations into the future. They embody the American Indian attributes of leadership, including respect, responsibility, reciprocity, relationships, and reasoning.
In addition, I have compiled an additional list of important leadership attributes in fundraising. What are your thoughts?
2. Role model
4. Models the organization’s values
5. Good personal values
10. Mobilizes people into action
11. Passionate about the mission
12. Does whatever it takes
14. Admits mistakes
18. Tireless hard worker
19. Critical thinker
23. Willing to grow
24. Helps people do things by themselves
25. Plans for succession
26. Believes in the goodness of people
27. Willing to make hard decisions
28. Understands budgets and finance
29. Understands organizational management
30. Planning skills
31. Knows the details but sees the big picture
32. Great fundraiser
33. Personable and connects with people